Learning Tech - shaken and stirred

First muse

The first few weeks into my new gig as Educational Technologies Coordinator here at TRU have been fun – highly collaborative team of folks who are open-minded about new ideas and work together in ways I haven’t previously witnessed on campus.

Starting here has also helped me reflect on things I’ve experimented with over the years and how those may or may not apply to various disciplines and what kind of things may be a good fit.  The list of tools I’ve tried in class is varied – some more successful than others – Padlet, Voicethread, Speakpipe, Kahoot, Titanpad (now decommissioned), Wikis, some collocation tools, Mind Maps, Frequency Level Checkers, Screencasts, LMSs, blogs are a few of the things I’ve used.  Some were brilliant for my purposes – a couple didn’t work as hoped for various reasons.

Over time, I’ve narrowed down the things I’ve used in class significantly and it has been abundantly clear for some time in my own teaching that identifying a few things, lining up how to use them in pedagogically sound ways, and keeping it as simple and straightforward, has been most beneficial for my students.

So what am I going to use this blog for?  Probably musing, sharing and making me try to articulate ideas on things.  Doing that inevitably makes me think through how, why, what.  Along the way, what will perhaps be my longest foray into blogging might turn into something.

1 Comment

1. Anonymous